NetApp StorageGRID SG1000
High-density and cost-efficient object storage
Get a Quote!
Today’s unprecedented growth in unstructured data offers enterprises opportunities to uncover new customer engagements and revenue streams. To keep pace, IT must overcome the challenges of keeping up not only with the volume of data, but also with changes in how data is stored and accessed. Users need IT to support a huge number of applications, from traditional workloads to cloud-based applications, with access to data across data centers, remote offices, and the public cloud.
NetApp StorageGRID is a software-defined, object storage solution that supports industrystandard object APIs like the Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) API. It allows you to build a single namespace across up to 16 data centers worldwide, with customizable service levels for metadata-driven object lifecycle policies. The integrated lifecycle management policies optimize where your data lives throughout its lifecycle.
StorageGRID optimizes the durability and availability of your data across multiple geographies. Whether your data is on premises or in a public cloud, it enables hybrid cloud workflows to fit your business demands with access to Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS), Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure Blob, Amazon Glacier, Elasticsearch, and similar services.
Smart: Explore the industry’s leading data lifecycle management software
- With the data management capabilities of the NetApp StorageGRID object-based storage solution, you can deliver high-value outcomes from your large, unstructured data while lowering your TCO.
Fast: Combine performance with cost efficiencies
- It’s all about the software. Unleash the full power of flash with StorageGRID object QoS, dedicated load balancer, and lifecycle management capabilities.
Future-proof: Realize cloud as a strategy, not just a location
- NetApp StorageGRID will always be there for you, delivering industry-defining features and capabilities to help you manage your data with the simplicity, speed, and fluidity you build your business on.
Step right up, choose your deployment
Every deployment is unique. StorageGRID aligns with your deployment preferences, whether that is optimized hardware-based appliances, or software-based virtual machines or Docker containers that run on bare-metal servers, or a combination across virtual and physical environments.
Enable the hybrid cloud
StorageGRID offers industry-leading hybrid cloud integration with user-controlled platform services. You can keep your data in a local private cloud while taking advantage of public cloud offerings. Storage tenants can configure mirroring of selected objects at the bucket level to an S3-compatible public cloud. You can trigger hybrid cloud workflows by integrating S3 notification of events in your on-premises buckets with Amazon SNS. You can gain further value with metadata search and analytics by streaming object metadata to an external Elasticsearch service, on premises or in the public cloud.
StorageGRID lets you take advantage of industryleading Amazon S3 APIs, such as object versioning, object locking, multipart upload, S3 Select, Amazon Identity and Access Management–style access policies, cross-origin resource sharing, and object tags. With Active Directory and LDAP identity federation for Amazon S3, StorageGRID bridges the gap between enterprise IT and cloud semantics.
Cloud-to-cloud data management can also enable cost savings. StorageGRID can manage and store objects in its own globally distributed infrastructure, and in Amazon S3 or S3-compatible object stores or public clouds. Depending on your hybrid cloud strategy, you can replicate with the StorageGRID CloudMirror service to Amazon S3, Google Cloud, or an S3-compatible object store for data protection, or to leverage cloud services. And you can tier cold StorageGRID data to the cloud through Cloud Storage Pools to Amazon S3, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure for cost savings.
Facilitate compliance with tamper-proof data retention
StorageGRID offers many features to help you meet your regulatory obligations. It can provide immutable protection for your critical data assets. StorageGRID is built with multitenancy at its core. Every tenant is its own partition, with its own rights and permissions, while sharing the same consolidated infrastructure. Not all tenants need to be the same; they can have different performance, capacity, and security requirements.
Storage tenants can configure write once, read many (WORM) retention with S3 Object Lock to comply with regulations. You can configure StorageGRID so that compliance data is stored with duplicate copies or logical equivalents, such as erasure-coded objects. You can secure your data with software-based encryption in flight and at rest, with built-in audit trails, and with FIPS drives on some StorageGRID appliances. In addition, other features such as multifactor authentication, role-based access control, and external key management make StorageGRID a leader in security capabilities.
Proven software designed for nondisruptive operations
StorageGRID is an 11th-generation object store with 2 decades of production deployments in the most demanding industries. With the strength of the portfolio, NetApp has demonstrated more than 20 years of product hardening with more than 1 million systems shipped. With advanced features such as the NetApp Active IQ® Digital Advisor for proactive, immediate response, and with backing by NetApp’s world-class support organization, StorageGRID is a solution that you can trust with your critical data assets. With StorageGRID, you can also maintain and update your infrastructure without business interruption or downtime.
Granular data protection policies
StorageGRID appliances provide layered erasure coding (EC) at the hardware and software levels. Protect against failed disk drives and rapidly rebuild lost data segments with node-level EC, and protect against site-level disasters with geo-distributed EC. For even greater protection, replicating to a cloud object store is also possible. StorageGRID can apply the data protection rules synchronously (RPO=0) or asynchronously for even better performance. StorageGRID also offers integration with enterprise backup vendors and leading data protection applications.
Massive scalability and flexible infrastructure
- Massive elastic content store
- Multiple geo-distributed sites
- Support for multiple storage tiers:
– SSD, SAS, SATA, tape
– Amazon S3
– Microsoft Azure
– Google Cloud
- Geo–erasure coding and geo-replication
- Deployment on VMs, hardware appliances, or bare-metal servers with Docker containers
Massively parallel transaction engine with:
- Integrated load balancing
- Transaction multithread pipelining
Object access protocols:
- Amazon S3 and OpenStack Swift
System and account management:
- Management API: system installation, system administration, tenant management, maintenance tasks, and system monitoring including Prometheus
- Tenant API: management of users, credentials, usage, and quotas
Platform services – tenant configurable hybrid cloud integration:
- S3 event notification with Amazon SNS
- CloudMirror bucket replication with Amazon S3, Google Cloud or S3-compatible target
- Metadata search and analysis with streaming metadata to external Elasticsearch
- S3 Object Lock
- Reinforced data integrity with compliance-grade WORM
- Litigation hold
Advanced security and encryption capabilities:
- Transport Security Layer (TSL) 1.3 and AES 256-bit encryption
- Secure Hash Algorithm 2 (SHA-2) and CPU-efficient integrity protection
- External key management
Metadata and content awareness
Metadata-based data management:
- Content-aware self-healing maintains data protection even during network disruptions
- Policies can be modified and applied retroactively to existing objects
- Physical or virtual servers via Docker containers
- Virtual appliance:
– VMware ESXi and vCenter
- Hardware appliances:
– StorageGRID SGF6024 for high-performance primary object storage workloads, web apps, streaming
– StorageGRID SG6060 for transactional small object storage workloads, including FabricPool optimization, with expansion shelf options for large scale capacity, including data lakes.
– StorageGRID SG5712 and SG5760 for secondary, capacity object storage workloads
– StorageGRID SG100 and SG1000 services appliances for simplified operations include Admin Node software and load balancing
Service-level objective and performance monitoring
- Comprehensive performance feeds:
– Access throughout
– Replication throughout
– Time to policies achieved
- QoS rate limiting to manage workload performance
- Transaction round-trip time
- Isolated application, replication, and admin network traffic
- Adjustable data policies with flexible information lifecycle management
- Advanced system monitoring via Prometheus
Management and monitoring
- Centralized and automatable installation and expansions
- Automated monitoring and tenant management through an API
- Rolling upgrades without downtime
- Comprehensive ad hoc real-time, rolling-period, and historical-usage query capability
- 200+ predefined monitoring, usage, and performance reports
- Event-based audit messages for performance tracing, usage monitoring, and enabling billing or chargeback
- Reduced deployment risk, streamlined implementation, and the ability to migrate quickly with minimal disruption
– Discovery and design determines solution requirements
– Validated process for appliance deployment and software configuration
– Data migration with proven methodologies and reliable tools
Because every deployment is unique, StorageGRID aligns with your environment, whether that includes nodes as virtual machines (VMs), as optimized hardware-based appliances, as bare-metal servers with Docker containers, or as a combination across virtual and physical environments. In all cases, designing, deploying, and managing StorageGRID is a centrally managed and streamlined process that enables you to rapidly deploy petabytes of storage.
StorageGRID simple, automated deployment on flexible platforms
The latest StorageGRID service appliances offer the option of increased simplicity of deployment. The SG100 and SG1000 service appliances deliver an enterprise-grade load balancer with full highavailability (HA) capabilities as well as the option to host StorageGRID Admin Nodes. This enables customers to streamline deployments by implementing “all appliance grids.” Customers have the flexibility to operate the node or HA node pair as a load balancer, an administrative node, or both roles simultaneously.
Deploying NetApp StorageGRID appliances creates an enterprise-grade turnkey solution that is easy to implement. Each appliance was built to meet specific performance or capacity needs. You can also deploy software-only StorageGRID nodes as containers on physical or virtual servers, taking advantage of the heterogeneous storage underneath.
If you’re looking for greater agility and financial flexibility, StorageGRID is available through the NetApp Keystone Flex Subscription storage-asa-service offering.
StorageGRID appliance portfolio
Front View without Bezel
|CPU cores||20 @ 2.4 GHZ||40 @ 2.1 GHZ||8 @ 2.2 GHz||8 @ 2.2 GHz||40 @ 2.4GHz||40 @ 2.4GHz|
|Raw capacity||Not applicable||Not applicable||4TB drives = 48TB
8TB drives = 96TB
10TB drives = 120TB
12TB drives = 144TB
18TB drives = 216TB
|4TB drives = 240TB
8TB drives = 480TB
10TB drives = 600TB
12TB drives = 720TB
18TB drives = 1080TB
|4TB drives = 232TB (712TB with 2 Exp Shelves)
8TB drives = 464TB (1,424TB with 2 Exp Shelves)
10TB drives (FIPS) = 580TB (1,780TB with 2 Exp Shelves)
12TB drives = 696TB
18TB drives = 1044TB (3,204TB with 2 Exp Shelves)
|800GB SSDs = 19.2TB
1.6TB SSDs (FIPS) = 38.4TB
3.8TB SSDs = 91.2TB
7.6TB SSDs = 182.4TB
15.3TB SSDs = 367.2TB
|Form factor||1U*||1U*||2U, 12 drives||4U, 60 drives||5U*, 58 Drives 118 with 1 Exp Shelf 178 with 2 Exp Shelves||3U*, 24 drives|
|Connectivity||4 x 10/25GbE||4x 10/25/40/100GbE||4 x 10/25GbE||4 x 10/25GbE||4 x 10/25GbE||4 x 10/25GbE|
|Width||17.32” (44 cm)||17.32” (44 cm)||17.6” (44.7cm)||17.66” (44.86cm)||17.66” (44.86cm)||17.32” (44 cm)|
|Depth||32.01” (81.3 cm)||32.01” (81.3 cm)||21.1” (53.6cm)||38.25” (97.16cm)||38.25” (97.16cm)||32.01” (81.3 cm)|
|Weight||37.9 lb (17.19 kg)||37.9 lb (17.19 kg)||63.9 lb (29 kg)||250 lb (113 kg)||289 lb (131 kg)||90.74 lb (41.17 kg)|
|Standard configuration||Standard configuration||4TB drives||4TB drives||4TB drives||800GB drives|
|8TB drives||8TB drives||8TB drives||1.6TB drives|
|10TB drives (FIPS)||10TB drives (FIPS)||10TB drives (FIPS)||3.8TB drives**|
|12TB drives||12TB drives||12TB drives||7.6TB drives|
|18TB drives||18TB drives||18TB drives||15.3TB drives|
* 1U compute server included in form factor – environmental specifications using 220V for compute server.
** available in SED and non-SED drives.
Download the NetApp StorageGRID Object Storage Datasheet (.PDF)
Get a Quote!